What's this all about?

I'm joining an expedition to sled over 200 kilometers across the wilds of the Arctic Circle in the depths of the Norwegian winter (January 2009). With possible temperatures down to as low as -30C and extreme conditions such as blizzards and high winds, it's going to be a huge challenge both mentally and physically - I think just trying to keep the sled upright and in a straight line will be a challenge in itself! Added to that there are very steep inclines to run and push the sled up, and with the fact we'll be working hard and travelling long hours - I think this is going to be tough; the huskies will expect me to be working as hard as they are. We'll be looking after the dogs ourselves for the week, each of us having our own team of 4-6 dogs and a sled to work with.
I'm going to have to get very fit, and yes... even give up smoking... so that's just another reason to sponsor me. I'll try and keep this blog up to date with progress and information about the trip.
I'm doing this for many reasons, but one of the main ones is to raise money for Amnesty International. I'm funding the costs of this all myself, so every penny you give will go to Amnesty International. If you'd like to donate(sponsor me) just click on the Donate button in the Justgiving widget on the right or you can go to www.justgiving.com/jonandthehuskies

Donating through Justgiving is quick, easy and totally secure. It’s also the most efficient way to sponsor me: Amnesty International UK Section Charitable Trust gets your money faster and, if you’re a UK taxpayer, Justgiving makes sure 25% in Gift Aid, plus a 3% supplement, are added to your donation.

If you don't want to use Justgiving or just want to make a pledge, or just want to get in touch, then please email me at jonandthehuskies@googlemail.com

Thank you for considering sponsoring me... it'll really will make a difference, and it'll help keep me going slogging up hills (in the rain and cold I'm sure) trying to get fit in time...

Monday, January 19, 2009

lat 69.8063 gargia base

We're here. Well and truely in the Arctic. We are finally at our base in Gargia. It was a fairly turbulent landing at Alta, which is really just a small town. From there a bus took us to our base here at Gargia.

This will be the first outing for the dogs this year so they're raring to go and although we haven't met them yet we can hear them!
It's pretty darn cold, but calm and clear. For dinner we had cabbage soup and reindeer stew, sorry Santa...
We've been briefed and had our suits issued. Tomorrow morning we're up early to feed the dogs then breakfast for ourselves..
Hoping to be learning to drive by nine tomorrow...

1 comment:

Splodge said...

Hey Jon,

Good luck, and just remember all that training you did will now pay off!! And Rudolph stew... they are spoiling you ;) good luck.